South Bent Avenue is closed!
South Bent Avenue closed Tuesday, June 30 to thru-traffic between Discovery Street and Creekside Drive, so the bridge over the San Marcos Creek can be constructed. The Bent Avenue bridge construction is expected to last a year.
Detours will be clearly marked, and businesses will be open. To help you safely navigate the Creek area over the course of the year-long closure, we've put together a video on what to expect and detours for all drivers. Bent Avenue Closure Video
We will post current road closures and detours on Waze to help motorists navigate the area.
To learn more about the Bent Avenue closure and detours to take while navigation the project area, watch our Bent Avenue closure video.
Upcoming Traffic Impacts
In the coming weeks, the following traffic impacts are also anticipated. Exact timing and details will be shared when possible.
- Discovery Street Closure: Discovery Street from Via Vera Cruz to Joy Court will be closed to thru traffic as construction crews begin setting up a road detour for motorists during levee and road construction. Local homeowners and residents in the area will still maintain access to their homes during the estimated two-day closure.
- Via Vera Cruz Traffic Shift: Southbound traffic on Via Vera Cruz will be shifted to accommodate construction crews between San Marcos Boulevard and Discovery Street.
Resources for Businesses
To get your business and customers ready for the upcoming construction activities on Bent Avenue, we've put together some resources for you! We've created handy detour graphics that you can share with your customers and employees to help them navigate the Creek area during the South Bent Avenue closure. Download the images using the following links: Bent Avenue Closure | Westbound Driver Detour | Northbound Driver Detour
Our team has created 'Open for Business' banners for you to hang outside your business during the Bent closure. If you are interested in receiving a banner or want to learn more, please email the Creek Project Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bent Avenue Closure | Open for Business Banners
What to Expect
Construction hours are Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. In some areas of the Creek Project, construction hours may begin earlier than stated.
In the construction zone, please be mindful of the reduced speed limits. Drivers must adhere to the 25 mph speed limit for the safety of construction crews and others. Please remember to Honk Less and Wave More to keep San Marcos roads safe and friendly.
Amid the COVID-19 outbreak, construction crews are taking all recommended precautions to stay healthy and safe by following the guidance from public health officials, practicing social distancing and frequent hand washing on the construction site. For more information, read the Creek Project's announcement regarding COVID-19.
Visit the San Marcos Creek Project Overview page for detailed information about the project and public meetings.
Creek Construction and COVID-19
- The health and safety of our community is the City's top priority. Learn more about the steps we are taking during construction in regard to COVID-19 safety here.
Sign Up to Receive Project Updates
- Text: Text the keyword SMCreek to 484848 to sign up for text updates regarding road closures and construction.
- Email: To sign up for emailed project updates, visit www.san-marcos.net/alerts and select “Creek Project.”
- Waze: Download the Waze App to get real-time updates about traffic in the San Marcos Creek. Download using the links below:
- Call the project hotline for more information at 877-SMCREEK or 877-762-7335.
- Email us at email@example.com