TRAFFIC ALERT: South Bent Avenue is closed for bridge construction. Click on Project Updates below for the latest information.
View the latest project updates on the San Marcos Creek Project Updates webpage.
The San Marcos Creek Bridge Project will add the needed infrastructure to relieve long-standing flooding issues and improve traffic circulation while revitalizing and preserving the San Marcos Creek. The project will:
- Minimize flooding risks
- Preserve and enhance creek habitat
- Build new parks and trails
Project Overview Video:
The 214-acre project area is adjacent to the San Marcos Creek, with these boundaries:
- West San Marcos Boulevard to the north
- Grand Avenue to the east
- Via Vera Cruz to the west
- Discovery Avenue to the south
New Features and Amenities
- Raised roadway and bridges over the creek (at Bent Avenue and Via Vera Cruz) to reduce flooding and enhance safety
- Widened Discovery Street to four lanes with a bike lane on the south side
- Additional sidewalks and bike facilities
- New community park with spaces for recreation and relaxation
- 1.5 miles of restored and preserved creek habitat
Frequently Asked Questions
View the Creek Project FAQ sheet here.
Public Meetings and Groundbreaking
We held a Creek Project Community Meeting on Oct. 29, 2019, at the San Marcos Community Center, to share information about the project with the community about upcoming construction and how to stay updated throughout the project. View the meeting presentation.
On Wednesday, Dec. 11, 2019, the City of San Marcos hosted a groundbreaking ceremony to celebrate the start of construction. You can view a video recap of the ceremony here.
Sign Up to Receive Email and Text Updates
- Text: Text the keyword SMCreek to 484848 to sign up for text updates regarding road closures and construction.
- Email: To sign up for emailed project updates, visit www.san-marcos.net/alerts and select “Creek Project.”
- Call the project hotline for more information at 877-SMCREEK or 877-762-7335.
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Para información y actualizaciones en español, por favor visite la página de la ciudad: www.san-marcos.net/arroyo.
Multiple enhancements are taking place at the same time in the San Marcos Creek area.