The San Marcos Creek Project will:
- Minimize flooding risks
- Preserve and enhance creek habitat
- Build new parks and trails
Project Overview Video:
The 214-acre project area is adjacent to the San Marcos Creek, with these boundaries:
- West San Marcos Boulevard to the north
- Grand Avenue to the east
- Via Vera Cruz to the west
- Discovery Avenue to the south
New Features and Amenities
- Raised roadway and bridges over the creek (at Bent Avenue and Via Vera Cruz) to reduce flooding and enhance safety
- Widened Discovery Street to four lanes with a bike lane on the south side
- Additional sidewalks and bike facilities
- New community park with spaces for recreation and relaxation
- 1.5 miles of restored and preserved creek habitat
- Outreach: We’re conducting outreach in the project area to make sure the community understands the project schedule and how to stay informed throughout construction. If you’re interested in meeting or scheduling a presentation with members of the project team, please call the hotline or email us using the contact information below.
- Pop Up Outreach Events: We’ve scheduled two pop-up outreach events on Thursday, Nov. 7 from 3 to 5 p.m. and Saturday, Nov. 9, from 9 to 11 a.m. for those who weren’t able to attend the community meeting on Tuesday, Oct. 29. These events are a good opportunity to hear more information about the project with the community about upcoming construction and how to stay updated throughout the project.
- Construction Contractor: At their meeting on Sept. 24, 2019, the San Marcos City Council voted to approve the selection of SEMA Construction to build the improvements for the San Marcos Creek project.
- Construction Activities: Now that the construction contractor has been selected, preliminary work like moving equipment to the site will begin late 2019. Active construction is tentatively planned to start in early 2020 and will last two years.
We held a Creek Project Community Meeting on Oct. 29, from 6 to 8 p.m. at the San Marcos Community Center, to share information about the project with the community about upcoming construction and how to stay updated throughout the project. View the meeting presentation.
On Wednesday, Dec. 11, 2019, the City of San Marcos hosted a groundbreaking ceremony from 10 to 11 a.m. to celebrate the start of construction. Learn more here.
Sign Up to Receive Project Updates
- Text: Text the keyword SMCreek to 484848 to sign up for text updates.
- Email: To sign up for emailed project updates, visit www.san-marcos.net/alerts and select “Creek Project.”
- Call the project hotline for more information at 877-SMCREEK or 877-762-7335.
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
With multiple enhancements taking place at the same time in the San Marcos Creek area, take a look at the interactive map below to learn about each active project.
Para información y actualizaciones en español, por favor visite la página de la ciudad: www.san-marcos.net/arroyo.