The San Marcos Creek Project will:
- Minimize flooding risks
- Preserve and enhance creek habitat
- Build new parks and trails
Project Overview Video:
The 214-acre project area is adjacent to the San Marcos Creek, with these boundaries:
- West San Marcos Boulevard to the north
- Grand Avenue to the east
- Via Vera Cruz to the west
- Discovery Avenue to the south
New Features and Amenities
- Raised roadway and bridges over the creek (at Bent Avenue and Via Vera Cruz) to reduce flooding and enhance safety
- Widened Discovery Street to four lanes with a bike lane on the south side
- Additional sidewalks and bike facilities
- New community park with spaces for recreation and relaxation
- 1.5 miles of restored and preserved creek habitat
Construction Schedule: Construction crews will now begin working in the area for the next two years, as follows:
- In Winter 2020, construction will begin with the closure of Bent Avenue for bridge construction above the Creek.
- In Fall 2020, once construction at Bent Avenue is completed, construction will shift to the closure of Via Vera Cruz, for bridge construction above the Creek in that location.
- In Spring 2021, the City anticipates starting habitat and park construction and finishing construction and opening the project to the public in Fall 2021.
- Construction hours will be Monday through Friday, from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.
We held a Creek Project Community Meeting on Oct. 29, from 6 to 8 p.m. at the San Marcos Community Center, to share information about the project with the community about upcoming construction and how to stay updated throughout the project. View the meeting presentation.
On Wednesday, Dec. 11, 2019, the City of San Marcos hosted a groundbreaking ceremony to celebrate the start of construction. You can view a recap of the ceremony here.
Sign Up to Receive Project Updates
- Text: Text the keyword SMCreek to 484848 to sign up for text updates regarding road closures and construction.
- Email: To sign up for emailed project updates, visit www.san-marcos.net/alerts and select “Creek Project.”
- Call the project hotline for more information at 877-SMCREEK or 877-762-7335.
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
With multiple enhancements taking place at the same time in the San Marcos Creek area, take a look at the interactive map below to learn about each active project.
Para información y actualizaciones en español, por favor visite la página de la ciudad: www.san-marcos.net/arroyo.