The San Marcos Creek Project will:
- Minimize flooding risks
- Preserve and enhance creek habitat
- Build new parks and trails
Project Overview Video:
The 214-acre project area is adjacent to the San Marcos Creek, with these boundaries:
- West San Marcos Boulevard to the north
- Grand Avenue to the east
- Via Vera Cruz to the west
- Discovery Avenue to the south
New Features and Amenities
- Raised roadway and bridges over the creek (at Bent Avenue and Via Vera Cruz) to reduce flooding and enhance safety
- Widened Discovery Street to four lanes with a bike lane on the south side
- Additional sidewalks and bike facilities
- New community park with spaces for recreation and relaxation
- 1.5 miles of restored and preserved creek habitat
Active construction will start in late March or April 2020. The construction team will begin:
- Clearing non-native plants in the creek bed
- Building a levee adjacent to Discovery Street
- Prepping Discovery Street for future widening
- Closing Bent Avenue for road improvements and bridge construction
SDG&E will also be relocating utilities in the Creek Project area.
What to Expect
- Traffic will be heavier than usual. If you can, avoid the area.
- Detours are needed during road closures. They will be clearly marked to facilitate routes.
- Noise is expected when the team is clearing plants in the Creek and building a levee along Discovery Street.
Frequently Asked Questions
View the Creek Project FAQ sheet here.
We held a Creek Project Community Meeting on Oct. 29, from 6 to 8 p.m. at the San Marcos Community Center, to share information about the project with the community about upcoming construction and how to stay updated throughout the project. View the meeting presentation.
On Wednesday, Dec. 11, 2019, the City of San Marcos hosted a groundbreaking ceremony to celebrate the start of construction. You can view a recap of the ceremony here.
Sign Up to Receive Project Updates
- Text: Text the keyword SMCreek to 484848 to sign up for text updates regarding road closures and construction.
- Email: To sign up for emailed project updates, visit www.san-marcos.net/alerts and select “Creek Project.”
- Call the project hotline for more information at 877-SMCREEK or 877-762-7335.
- Email us at email@example.com
With multiple enhancements taking place at the same time in the San Marcos Creek area, take a look at the interactive map below to learn about each active project.
Para información y actualizaciones en español, por favor visite la página de la ciudad: www.san-marcos.net/arroyo.