To safeguard public health and slow the spread of COVID-19, the public counter/cashier is closed until further notice. Please see below regarding options for Business License renewal submissions and payments. Any questions can be emailed to email@example.com or by calling the cashier at (760) 744-1050, Ext. 3272 during the hours of 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday. Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, some changes in business practices may cause delays in response times and processing renewals and new applications. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you in advance for your patience and understanding during this time.
The City’s online renewal system is currently down. Please either mail in your signed renewal notice AND SB 205 Stormwater Compliance Form with a check payment OR email completed forms to firstname.lastname@example.org and then the Cashier will call you for payment.
The City of San Marcos is pleased to offer online business license renewal payments in order to make the renewal process more convenient for your business operations. It is recommended that you use Internet Explorer 10 or greater or Google Chrome for your browser.
- What are the requirements for online business license renewal?
- When do I need to submit a new business license application?
- How do I complete an online business license renewal application?
- Your business address and/or primary owner have not changed. Please note: If your business address is located outside the city limits of San Marcos and you have an address change, you would be able to renew online, but would be required to attach a completed “Change of Address Form” during Step 2 of the renewal process.
- Your license fee is not EXEMPT. If you are exempt, please mail or email your renewal form back to the City of San Marcos.
- You do not owe any citation fees.
- If your business addresses (San Marcos only) and/or ownership have changed you will need to complete a new application. Applications can be downloaded at www.san-marcos.net/businesslicense.
- If your business has closed, you must notify the City within 60 days of your license expiration in order to avoid citation fees. You can do this by sending an email to email@example.com and include your business name, business license number and reason for closure.
- Log-in and create an account with the City of San Marcos online business license renewal program by clicking the above "Renew a Business License" button. It is recommended that you use Internet Explorer 10 or greater or Google Chrome for your browser.
- Once logged in, you must link your license to your account by clicking on the box that says “LINK TO LICENSES.”
- In order to link your business license, you will need your Business License number and Federal Tax Identification Number (FEIN) or Social Security # (SSN). Your Business License number is located on the top right-hand side of your renewal application. You will need to enter the whole number (alpha and numeric) followed by your FEIN (XX-XXXXXXX) or primary owners SSN (XXX-XX-XXXX). If you are unable to link your license, please call (760) 744-1050, Ext. 3101 for assistance.
- After your account is linked, click the arrow under RENEW. Read the information at the top of the renewal page and if you are ready to renew, click RENEW LICENSE.
- Update any pertinent information in ALL CAPS and/or attach any necessary documents by clicking UPLOAD and then click NEXT STEP.
- Update any contact information in ALL CAPS and then click NEXT STEP. Review all of your information and then click NEXT STEP.
- Review your fees and then click PROCEED TO PAYMENT.
- You will now be directed to our enhanced secure payment site and will be asked to enter your billing contact information and then click NEXT STEP: ADD PAYMENT METHOD. Next you will enter your Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express debit/credit card information and then click NEXT STEP: REVIEW PAYMENT. Review information and then check the box agreeing to the payment terms and click MAKE PAYMENT.
- You will be emailed two receipts, one with a payment confirmation number and the other with your business license number.
Your updated license will be mailed to you in approximately two to three weeks. We hope you have found this process to be more convenient.
For more information, questions or concerns, please contact business license staff at firstname.lastname@example.org or (760) 744-1050, ext. 3272 or 3101.