San Marcos launches 2020 Citizens Academy to help residents learn about city government
The City is accepting applications until noon on Feb. 26, 2020
The City of San Marcos invites residents to apply for the City of San Marcos Citizens Academy. This free, six-session program is designed to help residents learn about their city government.
The program will provide an informative and engaging learning opportunity for 20 participants who reside in the City of San Marcos and are 18 years or older. Classes will help participants understand critical roles and functions in the city and how they interact to form a strong and effective government.
This year’s Citizens Academy will be held on the third Tuesday of each month from 6-8 p.m., beginning March 17, 2020, and ending August 18, 2020. Selected participants are asked to attend all sessions.
Citizens Academy participants will:
- Meet City Council members, department heads and staff
- Learn how decisions are made, how funds are allocated and how departments operate
- Enjoy comprehensive overviews of city departments, programs and services
- Receive information on topics, such as plans for development, traffic, growth management, recreation, the environment and more
- Participate in lively discussions and interactive group activities
- Visit and/or tour city facilities
- Become more informed, involved citizens
- This program is open to San Marcos residents 18 years and older.
- Applications are available as a PDF download here. Hard copies are also available at the information desk at City Hall.
- Completed applications, including answers to the supplemental questions are required to determine eligibility requirements. Participants will be chosen by a random drawing and notified on Feb. 27, 2020.
- Class size is limited. Please call (760) 744-1050 for more information.
Completed applications must be received by 12 p.m. on Feb. 26, 2020, and submitted by mail, in person or via email to:
Citizens Academy – City Clerk’s Office
1 Civic Center Drive , San Marcos, CA 92069-2918
Phone: (760) 744-1050